Have you always wanted to be a unicorn? A mermaid? In 2017, these terms have become quite popular when it comes to hair color and it is these trends that have encouraged hair fanatics to try to go pastel. From peach to lavender to soft blue, men and women everywhere want pastel hair–but what steps do you need to take? This guide will help you determine how to best pursue your pastel dream hair.
People are trying different shades of pastel, from baby pink to mint green. If you are not sure which pastel color would suit you best, consult with your stylist. Some colors to consider are:
- Cotton candy/baby pink
- Soft blue
- Light yellow
- Mint green/pastel turquoise
- Peach/soft orange
While you can ask for them in any combination, it never hurts to try something simple first. If bold hair is new to you, these simple colors are the best way to start your pastel hair journey.
The Celeb Look
Your dream pastel hair may have been inspired by some of the celebrities sporting the look on the red carpet. From Kylie Jenner’s soft blue and mint green styles to Nicki Minaj’s bubblegum pink, pastels have been taking over Hollywood. If you have a celebrity look that you would like to emulate, your stylist can help you reach your goal.
Remember: celebrities pay an exceptional amount of money to go pastel. In complicated cases, you may need to schedule multiple appointments or reassess how much pastel you can expect to add to your strands. Your cosmetologist can assist you with this process.
What to Expect
All unnatural colors tend to take more work than natural colors, but that is especially true when it comes to pastels. Because they are diluted color, pastels are more finicky than fully concentrated color. In fact, to achieve your pastel hair goals, you may have to visit your salon several times.
- Your hair will have to be pale, pale blonde. Since pastel colors are diluted, they need an extremely light base. If you have dark hair, you may not be able to go to your stylist and leave with a full head of soft peach locks like you imagined. You may have to settle for highlights or make several visits to your salon.
- Get used to upkeep. Pastel hair fades quickly. Ask your stylist if there are any products you can use to maintain your color for as long as possible. Color-safe shampoo and conditioner and washing with cold water can help keep your lilac locks bright. If you are not a fan of maintenance, consider removable hair extensions rather than dyeing your full head of hair.
- Be prepared to negotiate. Your stylist may have to break some bad news to you. Pastel hair is not achievable for all hair types, especially if your hair is not healthy enough for excessive amounts of bleach. If you are open to a darker color or highlights, speak with your hair-care professional about your options.
- Get ready for regular hair appointments. If you fall in love with your new unicorn mane, expect to schedule another appointment with your hair stylist in six weeks. Since pastel hair is not long lasting, it requires regular touch-ups.
In the video below, you can watch two women and their journey to pastels. You will note that they’re very light blonde when their stylist begins to add color.
Tread Lightly if You Aren’t Sure
If you don’t think that you can commit to a full head of pastel hair, ask your stylist about a few extensions or highlights in your desired color. While pastel hair does fade rather quickly, you do not want to spend a lot of time and money on it if you are not ready to commit to colored hair.
Try a natural base color with pastel ends, highlights, or underlay. If you start to like it after your test run, you can then consider dyeing your whole head of hair.
Creativity is Beautiful
If you are a pastel hair veteran, you may be ready for some new and unique color combinations. If your hair stylist is comfortable experimenting with different colors, speak to them about some of your hair ideas. The best part about unnatural colors is that they are meant to express yourself, so don’t be afraid! Let your colors show, not only on the inside, but on the outside as well.
Here are some color trends to consider:
- Cotton Candy. Cotton candy pink and blue are an adorable combination. You can go half-and-half or pick one as a base and add some highlights!
- Pastel Galaxy. The galaxy hair color trend has been going on for a few years now. If you do not want deep colors but have always liked the look, try a pastel version instead! With pastel turquoise, pink, and purple, your intergalactic hair dream can come to life.
- Lavender and Turquoise. Purple and turquoise are an exquisite combination, even in pastel shades!
- Soft Peach and Lilac. Warm peach is a commonly sought after, but it becomes otherworldly when paired with a soft lilac.
- Bubblegum Pink and Soft Yellow. A not-so-common combination, this amazing look is for the girl that isn’t afraid to turn heads.
- Create-Your-Own! Do you have your own color combination in mind? Talk to your stylist about your options.
Find Your Inner Mermaid!
Pastel hairstyles are for the bold. If you are looking for a new eye-catching look, this trend will certainly help you achieve it. Whether you’re Team Mermaid or Team Unicorn, there is a pastel look that is perfect for you to meet your ultimate hair goals.